Monday 6 January 2014

Being a Man

We are going to a talk on Being a Man by Grayson Perry at the Southbank. Grayson will have given a lot of thought to this topic and I hope he's going to say some interesting things about it. It has been pointed out to me that my husband is a very stereotypical sort of man. He doesn't think much about his clothes or do anything new with his hair (what's left of it), he is chattier to women than he is to men, he gets together with other men to do things (row, make committee decisions) rather than for social reasons, he takes his friends for granted, he keeps up with sport (perhaps in order to talk with other men about it?), he doesn't notice dust or mess, he is happier mending things than buying things, he has nothing to say about his emotions most of the time, he hides behind a newspaper when motionless. On the other hand, some men would not go to a talk on Being a Man, and my husband is looking forward to it, so there you are, he can still surprise me.

I wonder if this talk will mention any of the above, and debunk it all, or decry it all!

In the Sherlock episode we have just seen there was the most ghastly bromance between Sherlock and Watson. They kept talking about their feelings for each other and praising each other in public. Really, it was completely out of character. I don't mind Sherlock hinting that he has feelings by perhaps, sulking or looking grumpy, but not this gushy stuff that would make the girliest girl look a bit soppy...

I loved the bit where they went all out for a big drunken stag night and in spite of Sherlock's calculations, they got drunk, incompetent, sleepy, sick, and home within 2 hours. I roared as it seemed all too familiar. It was a funny episode but I prefer the characters to be consistent. Sherlock's wall of mystery and restraint crumbled away like an Oxo cube.

No comments:

Post a Comment