Monday 21 April 2014

Bald blokes talking about gardens


The first bald bloke is rather good. His subject is the history of botany and he really loves his story. He is  twinkly and fun, but a bit staring.

The flowers in the prog are lovely (the ones he doesn't rip up). The lucky man goes to see where Linnaeus worked in Sweden, Chelsea Physick garden, Oxford Botanicals and Cambridge, and he takes his camera and his thermos with him. To me, he doesn't seem the thermos type, and I am as unconvinced by the thermos as I am by the long shots of Linnaeus's ship sailing back to Sweden.

The second bald bloke is called Michael Collins. He wears a black suit like an undertaker in order to ask people how they feel about their suburban gardens. He wants to capture the joy of gardens to people who moved out from the city to the suburbs, but he does this in an academic, non-smiley way. It's interesting social history but they should have got a better bald bloke. It's here for a few more days but you have been warned.

First bald bloke has done another episode, better than the first! Here it is! He wants to share with us the history of understanding photosynthesis, and he has some good stories. Mean old Calvin, eh, with his cycle that he wouldn't share with Nicholson! The actual cycle is too Advanced level to explain to we non-scientists, and if I want to look at the chemistry, my daughter has a diagram of it on her bedroom wall. I will post a picture of this as soon as I find my camera. I'm a bit lost today after the Lechlade trip.


Science

No comments:

Post a Comment