Friday 24 June 2016

It was close, but now it's such bad news

I feel as though this is the most terrible day of my life - although nothing has changed yet. I did work hard on understanding the issues; I did my research, I did think about it carefully, and I decided Remain was really important and the only way forward. But when we drove up to Birmingham last week we saw nothing but Vote Leave signs. I think the Vote Remain people were intimidated by the more pugnacious Vote Leave people and they never put up signs - or in one case - it got torn down almost immediately by a White Van Man.

So the White Van People have taken us out of Europe and shown us why democracy has never got more than two cheers out of three, and today I can't really cheer for it at all. Some of my friends have been crying, especially the young people who really feel their futures have been chucked away.

We have been so lucky here in the South East, ever since the 1980s we have had prosperity and I really can't see that continuing - I can imagine the bankers moving out of the country leaving a lot of empty houses - I can imagine a property crash - I can imagine pensions being worthless as the economy collapses. Why did anyone believe Farage? He clearly knows nothing - he just wanted the right to smoke in his local pub. And look where that's got us.

Can we have proportional representation now?

No comments:

Post a Comment