Thursday 4 October 2018

Allotment Year 3

Well, let us start with things that went badly. Once again, we had no gooseberries as the berries that formed were eaten by some other species in spite of being covered by our mobile netted cage. We had not much luck with the apples either, although I did get one strudel out of the Bramleys; the rest were eaten by pests although this year I put black nets over the trees. The other tree had small red apples but the wasps loved them because they are such a sweet variety. I suppose I should have picked them as soon as they turned colour, but I thought they might grow a little bit bigger.

This Spring I weeded and fed manure to the roots of the raspberry canes, and they repaid me by not dying in the drought, but the fruit was very small.

The rhubarb was great - I forced some and it was tall and lovely to eat, but I fear the root died in the drought. One of the crowns puts flower heads up but I cut them off, and after you cut them they grow normal shoots from the base. Don't take any notice if you are advised to dig the crown up. The rhubarb didn't like the drought and I wonder how many of my crowns will come up next year.

The potatoes were tiny, and few.This statement reminded me of a picture that we saw in Germany, of the King of Prussia, Friedrich the Great. In this picture he inspects the potato crop.


If the Queen came along we would be in the same situation, showing her very small potatoes. But she is not interested in potatoes, unlike the Prince of Wales. I don't know if this will boost Prince Charles's popularity, as it did with King Friedrich. 

My problem is Europe's problem  -the Economist says - "The Chips are Down"

EUROPE faces a potato crisis. Around 53m tonnes of spuds are harvested in the EU each year. Germany, the biggest producer, usually digs up 10m-12m tonnes. But thanks to a dry summer, the tubers have come a cropper.
On September 26th Germany’s agriculture ministry announced a harvest 25% smaller than usual. This year’s spuds are littler and denser than normal. Belgians are feeling less than chipper over rumours that their beloved frites may now be one-third shorter as a result. But these fears are small fry compared with the wider implications.
Alas I don't subscribe to the Economist, (but they keep sending me tasters) So I can't tell you about the "wider implications" but take it from the Kaiser Chiefs, everything is bloody awful nowadays. Short video here

But no!!! Many kinds of vegetable did well. I grew a yellow courgette that prodigiously produced courgettes, and is still alive and going strong,  and three green courgette plants that did fairly well but died young. 

I grew two butternut squash plants that were fab, and gave very good tasty squashes. I haven't cooked many yet but they roast well. 

The other revelation was the cucumber plants. They were similar, grew everywhere and were so tasty! I watered them a lot of course but they survived periods of drought very well.

The tomato plants have produced excellent tomatoes, not tiny cherries but not full-sized either, somewhere in between. No sign of blight yet. 

Some leeks are in and are going well in the new bed.

Swedes are in and are also going well, except those inadequately netted, I think the birds got them. Other winter veg are just a token effort to keep something going - 6 red cabbage, 6 curly kale and 6 broccoli. 

I had a row of fairly respectable onions, - one of them was a model onion, large and handsome, and all very strong and tasty, and about half of my shallots grew to a decent size and have kept well.

I grew some amazing spinach. I would grow that again and again, as I love spinach and can make a few things with it. I also grew ruby chard, which continues to do well though the leaves seem tougher. Apparently these are even more nutritious than spinach.

I grew beans as usual and have them in the freezer. The runners are still on the canes but look a sorry sight - must come down soon. 

I put in a line of radiccio salad leaves and have 4 plants - they are so beautiful. 

I thought of putting my plot in for a prize but it wasn't well-kept enough and had too many marigold plants. It also doesn't have a proper compost heap.

The weed "crab grass" is taking over the allotments and inhibits the growth of other plants. Constant hoeing is the only way forward. 

I am now doing a website for the allotments. I made it and am doing a blog for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment