Friday 15 March 2013

A happy day

Today I didn't have to teach or do anything much, so I started by going on a long walk by the river with my daughter's school. I parked in the road where I grew up, outside my friend's house, and I was so glad to be active again after a week sitting at my desk, in the car, or in the classroom. I whizzed along as fast as my shoes would allow. But my shoes are rigid walking shoes and though good at protecting the feet, they are not  flexible enough for fitness walking and I know my feet will ache tomorrow.

There were signs of spring by the river - a small bunch of violets growing in the Rivermount steps, a few shivering daffs, catkins. After 2 hours my legs were really tired and I was glad to stop. Then I took the knitwear that I had bought in the sale back to the shop. I went and had coffee and a cake with my mum who had a lot to say about hospitals and the way they treat old people, and dementia. Sometimes I think my mum has dementia but there was not the slightest trace of it today.

I got back and looked at my emails and finished my book and wrote a book review. Then my daughter told me that a boy had asked her on a date to a coffee shop and I took her on her date. She met the boy, who looks like a decent sort of lad and is a lot taller than she is. Obviously he knows a good thing when he meets one, and apparently he can run fast.  I think that it is a good thing that he can be bothered to run fast, but I haven't really thought this through...

No comments:

Post a Comment