Tuesday 19 March 2013

Variable hours

The unfortunate thing is that I have a variable hours contract, and I think this means I have to teach whatever comes up. If I were to be asked now if I could teach these three completely different classes, I would say no. I had no idea that planning the activities and so forth would take so long. I have enough difficulty with the class I am doing.

I have been persuaded into teaching all these classes next term and I am in a cold sweat at the very thought of it. It is only for 12 weeks, they say, and then it's all change and I might get a better deal. I applied for a part time job but I am about to start working 4 days and planning the lessons on the other 3. Which means a 7 day week.

I don't know how much of this fear comes from the recent experience of being out of work. Maybe I have got used to being a lazy slob? If so, 3 months of this kind of pressure - including organising and marking exams - will put a stop to that, so I should be grateful, shouldn't I?

I was hoping to apply for a place on a distance learning MA course, but to do that I would need the kind of deal where I can rely on so many hours teaching and no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment