Saturday 3 May 2014

More about the Lechlade trip

Helena, who rowed at stroke in the crew that I coxed, wrote a blog about the Lechlade trip, and it is very good. She is a talented writer who absolutely loves doing this sort of thing (physical challenge, small boats) which comes across quite clearly, and I just sat and steered, somewhat against my will as I would have liked to have done some skiffing too! She put everything into it but she has rowed across the Atlantic with her husband and I suppose rowing down the Thames is a breeze compared to that. She is a small but fit woman in terrific shape. I come into this blog only as a bit of a know-all who has all the low-down on William Morris. I just couldn't do justice to William Morris!

Helena's blog how-thames-grows-up-from.html?spref=fb

Notice also that the Thames was a "total mess". The effects of the flood need serious effort to remedy, and this will take some time, for example, collecting rubbish from weirs. We were out on the river yesterday and floating islands of organic matter were still coming down, at quite a pace. Also, in the case of boats that have floated away onto land and become marooned, or have sunk at their moorings, the owners need to be interested enough in them to retrieve them, and in many cases they are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment