Sunday 4 October 2015

Allotment part 2

The idea we have with the allotment is to divide it into 4 quarters, use 3 of them for crop rotation and 1 for a permanent crop. However, one of the apple trees that came with the plot is in the wrong place and will have to stay with a succession of other crops. The other apple tree has started off the fruit quarter and we have also put in 2 gooseberry bushes, and 2 raspberry canes. We want to put in some rhubarb crowns next.

Most of the ground is still covered with grass which is covered with black sheeting to kill it off. We have inherited a bench so we will place it in the area with the proper turf (the previous occupant put down some turf for his children to play on).

We have cleared enough earth in one quarter to grow curly kale, cauliflower and (out of their place) onion seedlings. Apparently, we are not supposed to grow onion seedlings; we are supposed to grow onions from sets. (But we bought the seedlings in trays because we were away in Australia and couldn't grow from seed.) The "supposed to" ideas come from our fellow allotmenteers, who are very forward in giving advice. Anne tells us what "we all" do, inferring we should do the same, e.g. build compost heaps out of pallets.... Anne has 2 half plots near the back of her house and keeps an eye on the allotments all the time and knows who everyone is.

We also get lots of advice from Nick, who used to be a professional gardener and has a very full allotment with lots of cloches and things. He gave me some gorgeous french beans last week. All the allotmenteers make comments about each other's doings, e.g. Anne thinks Nick has used the wrong material to cover his lettuce cloche and that he will find the foxes tear it.  Nick saved lots of big cardboard boxes for us to cover our ground with under the black sheeting, so that the grass dies back over the winter. He is really kind.

Today I went with a hoe to cut down some grass seedlings that were coming through around the fruit bushes and encouraged by Anne, I also cut back an enormous overgrown rosemary bush, which I will cut back side after side so as not to kill it. She thinks I should dig the whole thing out, especially as there are grass weeds and bindweed roots growing between its roots. But I kind of like it as a hedge between us and the main path.

Other allotmenteers introduce themselves from time to time; the American lady gave me marigold seeds when I admired her marigolds, deaf Anne came to introduce herself and tell me that she had disturbed a lot of mice in her shed and put her hand down to pick up what appeared to be a piece of wire and turned out to be a mouse's tail! A live one, thank God.

Today I was listening to Dezzy Disks on my headphones and didn't hear Anne shouting at me. I didn't water as rain is forecast for tomorrow. We have had such an amazing fine spell. I have been for 3 5 mile walks this week, two of them with Amanda (my friend and neighbour) to Virginia Water. It was incredibly beautiful but I did not take my phone so I sadly didn't take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment