Friday 20 November 2015

I miss Nicola Walker

In "River"she was friendly and funny and always made River smile. In "Unforgotten" she was thorough, thoughtful and kind. Twice a week for 5 weeks she was unmissable.

I wrote about "River" before - in the end it turned out to be about motherhood as much as anything - a mother's dilemma about working/ not working. Probably Abi Morgan would say she wasn't commenting, just observing what goes on in the world of working mothers with highly demanding careers. But the whole thing - looking at what his mother's desertion had done to River, what it had done to another character - did add up to a comment on this. If you want a healthy society, you need mothers (or fathers) who will commit a fair amount of themselves - their time AND their attention and their intelligence - to parenting. This means part-time working and lousy pay and probably ruining your career. I did it, and what's more I think it was worth it, but I'm not a greedy person. I don't expect much.

No comments:

Post a Comment