Wednesday 9 December 2015

Lack of Democracy

Recently I have been very lazy, politically. I was going to go to London to campaign last weekend for Green issues, I had it in my diary for weeks, but then my husband got us invited to a friend's house for Sunday lunch, so we did a walk in the Surrey hills, Sunday lunch, film with our friends; and I never went to London.

I emailed my MP about the new deal for Junior Doctors and I got a lengthy and really irrelevant cut-and -paste reply. this is because my MP is Philip Hammond. Yes, the Foreign Secretary is my M.P. and before he went to the Foreign Office he was the Minister of Defence. You can imagine how excited he is every day now that we are bombing Syria and Iraq! what can make a man/woman feel more important than having people kill people because you say so! He is, in effect, the King!

(He felt pretty important for the years before his rise to power, as he always got around in a chauffeur-driven posh car even if he was just visiting the Girl Guides summer fete.)

So although I would like to tell my M.P. my strong feelings about the war and TTIP, there is really no point. He is not representing my views, no way. He is representing the diametrical opposite of my views. Caroline Lucas is representing my views, and I am always glad to hear her doing so. But democracy - don't make me laugh. Boo hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment