Sunday 6 March 2016

Allotment part 4 - testing the soil

Although we planted some young brassica in the autumn, these have produced only a few small and stunted plants, so I decided to send off a sample of the soil to the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) for testing. This involves collecting earth from 10 places and not from the very top of the soil, and when you have dug your ten holes here and there and put your sample from each in the bag, you have got far too much for a sample. so you shake it all up and divide it by half, and send it off to the RHS with a request for a report on its suitability for growing  veg and a cheque for £25.

In return, they send you a report and some recommendations. It turns out my soil is alkaline! Too alkaline for growing veg (which is what I had suspected). What to do? Apparently I have to add sulphur! So I went to the trading hut at the allotments and I discover they sell sulphate of ammonia and two other kinds of sulphur, so I go to the garden centre to see what is most suitable for my needs. I read the packets. At the allotment the goods are sold in transparent plastic bags without any instructions, so this is why I have to go to the garden centre, not to buy the goods, but to read the packets. I find that I need sulphate of iron. I go back to allotment hut and buy 3 large bags. I go to the internet and find out from the RHS website how to put on the white powder. I take the scales, the yardstick and a small dish and I go to the allotment to start distributing the acidifying powder.

I think I shouldn't overdo it because my soil is sandy and not clay. however, I suspect I am underdoing it. I tell myself I can always apply more, but I can't apply less.

I have plenty of phosphorus in my soil but not much potassium. I have enough magnesium.

I have also instructions to apply Growmore. It turns out that Growmore is also sold in plastic bags in the hut. I am not sure when to apply the Growmore and the Sulphate of potash (I also have to do this) because I am supposed to do the sulphur thing first.. It turns out that growing vegetables turns you into a bit of a chemist. I have never done anything like this before. It's all very interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment