Thursday 31 May 2018

Accident in Hardware store: no sense of smell

As I was choosing a new toilet seat in a famous Australian hardware shop, one fell on my face and injured me between my nose and my upper lip. It was a deep cut which has taken a long time to heal. Sadly, I have now discovered that I have lost my sense of smell. But I can still taste my food. I can sort of taste very strong smells, like Jeyes fluid, which seem to go to the back of the throat and I get a bit of the savour of them. 

Things I can't smell: cooking meat from a barbecue, mint (nothing), basil (very faint), roses (nothing), lavender (nothing). I am certainly going to miss my sense of smell! How will I know if the food is cooked? Whether a dish is spicy? Whether there is a gas leak?Recently I entered a baking competition and all the time I was baking those cakes (I practiced) I didn't realise I couldn't smell them cooking and when the family said they liked the smell of the baking I just thought they were being nice or something. I didn't realise I had lost that sense. As usual, I can breathe fine through my nose. I feel sad about it but but hopeful that this state is temporary. 

A smell I particularly miss is the smell of shampoo and toiletries - the smells that waft out of a steamy bathroom. 

Post script - October - still no sense of smell but I got compensation from the shop for the scar. There seems to be no way that my lack of smell is linked with the toilet seat accident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment