Friday 6 September 2013

The finger op

My daughter had her finger op on Monday. A tendon was removed from the second toe of her Left foot and inserted into the ring finger of her left hand. She is recovering nicely but my day consisted of - 9:30 taking her to have the foot dressed at the local surgery, 10:30, taking her to grandma's, 11:30, taking her home and making her lunch, 12:30, taking her to school (she can't walk there with her foot in a bandage) a distance of about a mile down a narrow lane where you keep needing to reverse, and 2:00, picking her up from school. So I have not achieved anything apart from checking up on Mum and some proof-reading for a friend.

I am glad that the heat has stopped and turned to rain (we need more rain) as the heat made me lazy, and so sleepy in the afternoons that I felt like an indolent person in a South American novel (I am reading 100 years of Solitude).

But it has been a wonderful summer and I have a good crop of tomatoes, which makes me feel very satisfied, and many little apples on the little apple tree, which are lovely to see. The tomatoes we buy in the supermarket have been gassed to ripen them. I know this because I met a girl who had worked for a grower. The ones at home ripen, it seems to me, when there is a great contrast between day/night temperature. They taste amazing.

The ones that ripen naturally have also been gassed - the plant apparently produces ethylene. But now the weather is cooler the toms aren't ripening at all, not even indoors. So the heat has something to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment