Sunday 2 March 2014

Original Poems by me




Prince

He came bounding over the threshold –

His skin was rich, plush, warm to the touch
Under the sumptuous velvet of his coat,
I closed my eyes and caught
The scent of a waterfall: rising sky,
And a cloud of oxygen filled me:
I hardly breathed
Soul-shaken: winded, bass notes blown
So softly I was not aware of music
Only the drowning depths of the sea
Resounding echoes in the vast dark.

Gently he said: “This can be trusted, but
You have only one taste.” The tang was blood salt
Vital.  It healed my tongue so
I could speak, and from my idiot throat
Came a song I had never heard
Speaking and singing I was free,
Amazed
And shaking with newfound laughing.

Of course I searched for him in vain;
After sightings in various locations:-
Brighton, Sydney, Berlin, Bangkok:
I sold my pearls for tickets and information
Tracked him to the giggling denials
Of princessy boys prancing on a Phuket beach.
In Tijuana I scented his fresh presence
In the dressing-room of that snake-hipped dancer
Who lisped his lies, laughed mockingly
While I cajoled, beseeched, despaired,
Finally shattered my glass heels
Stamping on his stupid sombrero. 


 Scarlet dancers
Scarlet dancers, imperfect in your pointed petals,
You unfurl and dangle your pollened parts
so gracefully, and your bright arms are sturdy
postured prettily to shield your skirts,
as the rain patters, and the chill wind
brings down the dull brown leaves.
You have no choice but to wait for
Some rare late bee, bumbling softly
Brushing at your delicate bunches
Your vivid little toes. But the cold
Keeps him, or he fell, lumbered
By a plenitude of days. He will not come.
So I put you in this vase, be warm.
It’s November.


The river

I come from the wide flat Thames flood plain
It’s fertile land that yearly drowned in silt
A century ago a flood was a valued gain,
But then the meads were sold and houses built.
It’s the stockbroker belt and the green belt
And there are pretty towns, pubs and churches
But you haven’t known the land until you've felt
Part of the river: swum on its depth, tasted its wet
Waded in it and felt silt jelly your toes
Netted the water-boatmen and nymphs,
Caught a one-legged frog and forty minnows
Stood watching in a humming quiet reed patch
The shining needles of dragonflies hover
Inspected the nets of the fishermen’s catch
And when black clouds have gloomed the river over
Dread comes to you, and all your mind is pressed
Tense against the glass, for when the river’s anguished
Nothing can prosper. I was a river-child. Possessed.


Chiswick Bridge by Rob Adams
see painter's website

No comments:

Post a Comment