Friday 27 June 2014

24 hours a day the academic way

From Mary Beard's Blog:

This is how an academic called Arnoldo Momigliano spent his day: according to himself:

In my 24 hour continental timetable I divide my time each day as follows:
2 hours of pure sleep
1 hour of sleep dreaming about administration
2 hours of sleep dreaming about research
1 hour of sleep dreaming about teaching
½ hour of pure eating
1 hour of eating with research (= reading)
1 hour of eating with colleagues and of conversation on teaching and research
½ hour of pure walking
½ hour of walking with research (= thinking)
12 ½ hours of research with preparation for teaching (= reading, writing or also thinking)
1 hour of official teaching without thinking
1 hour of official administration without thinking
___
24

What is interesting is that his down time is not really down time in that the mind has to be occupied with something (unless you are absolutely gaga), so really he is working a 22 hour day, the mind being active (not really dreaming) even when he is asleep. I find it takes some sleep before you know whether yesterday's work stands up well today, or before you can see the next small step. I am always finding I have resolved something in my sleep, or I wake up and immediately remember something I have forgotten to do. When he teaches he isn't thinking: but I think this must be lecturing, which is not the same as teaching. However, he is dead right about administration, which is tiresome and doesn't involve thought. 12 and a half hours of research with preparation for teaching is a long day though. He could do with knocking off a bit earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment