Tuesday 10 May 2016

Voting reform


Lately – on Saturday: I went to my first demo in London. It was a very small demo, which took place in Old Palace Yard - not a large patch of ground, so just as well.... It was to campaign for Proportional Representation. I am very keen on this. As you know, possibly, Philip Hammond the Foreign Secretary is my MP, and he is very involved in the Industrial Military complex; he represents millionaires doing very well out of the industrial –military complex, and when I write to him about education or the NHS he sends cut and paste replies that don’t answer any of my questions and don’t make sense, because of course, he doesn’t read them himself, he gets some Sophie fresh out of Uni to do it for him and she has no clue. So I can’t vote for someone who will represent me – no-one will overturn that particular majority – and I can’t get my MP to listen to me, so of course I want PR. It is my only (slim) hope.

 
This government has a majority, and got 39 percent of the vote. How is that a majority? Yet Cameron will go on about his “mandate”.  Urrgh. Of course, the PR demo was not covered by the press because the country has already had a campaign for AV PR and the country voted against it – by a substantial majority. Idiot Nick Clegg, for not making the most of this opportunity! He just didn’t organise a proper campaign.

 
Many people argued that the PR system was too complicated. But in the recent elections for the English and Welsh assemblies there was a PR system that seems to have worked very well. So these nations are clever enough to have PR and we, the English, are not? Anyway the demo was good. We had speakers from all the parties including the Tories (a very good speaker!), my leader, Natalie Bennett, spoke, and a UKIP woman spoke. Owen Jones failed to show up which was slightly disappointing but hey, one can see him on Youtube, and I'm sure whatever he was doing, it was a good use of his time.

Klina Jordan
John E Strafford: a great speaker for a rally
 a good conservative: more info here
We have Suffragette colours! We are the new Suffragists!


 Equality for women
 

No comments:

Post a Comment