Friday 21 December 2012

I am a teacher

I went to be interviewed for another job yesterday. It took a vast amount of courage to do it, because it is a long time since I taught, and I am rather out of the habit of thinking of myself as a teacher, and more in the habit of thinking of myself as working through a business process in order to achieve outcomes.

I had to teach the Head of the Department and the Head of Curriculum the grammar point Wish plus past tense. I taught them pretty much as I would have taught a class but I forgot to get them to do a production task (writing their own wishes). But it was a textbook lesson and included some Powerpoint slides to make in interesting and I had also made some exercises which they enjoyed.

I wish I had got the job!

They gave to job to someone who was already working in the department! But I was a very close second and the thing was, I remembered that I enjoyed being a teacher and the sense of responsibility and performance. But afterwards I could not sleep and that's what I don't like about it - the adrenaline comes and goes and the end result is that one feels terribly tired. That's why teaching suits the young. When I was at College I explained to our tutor that I couldn't sleep at all after evening teaching - that I couldn't wind down afterwards whether it had gone well or gone badly. And she said she was exactly the same! Even with all the confidence and calmness she exuded.

No comments:

Post a Comment